Monday, July 21, 2008

Dewar's White Label


Blended Scotch
Purchase Price: $23
Place of Purchase: Warehouse - New York, NY
Rating: 7.5


This is the first brand of Scotch I ever actually purchased an entire bottle of and at that time (roughly 1989), I liked it--although at that point in my life the only scotches I had tried were stolen rations of brands like Cutty Sark, Passport and J&B out of the family liquor cabinet. It's amazing how all those high profile blends of the Sixties, Seventies and Eighties have now almost entirely faded away. Does anyone anywhere these days stroll into a bar and say "I'll have a J&B on the rocks please." I doubt it. The one exception, however, is Dewar's, which is performing as strong as ever-- in fact it's consistently ranked among the top-selling blends in the world. My only problem is that I just don't rate it very highly these days. There are so many fantastic, involving and wonderfully unique blends out there that Dewar's heavy reek of familiarity just doesn't measure up.

No comments: