Friday, June 27, 2008

The Famous Grouse


Blended Scotch
Purchase Price: $24 (1.75 ml)
Place of Purchase: Roma Liquors - New York, NY
Rating: 8.2


For the longest time, Roma Liquors on the Upper West Side was selling a 1.75 glass jug of The Famous Grouse for $23.99, a price point that in any other store nabs you exactly 750 ml of this same fine blend. It was, as they say, the bargain of the new millennium. The price has since gone up and when I asked the owner of the store what happened, his only words were, “It is the end of an era.” Lofty words for such a silly, trifling thing, but I am in full agreement. I’ve heard through various news agencies that The Famous Grouse is the best-selling scotch in Scotland, but as I’ve mentioned before in my Powers review, that means very little to me. Can it stand on its own, out of the home country, is a much more relevant question. Well, The Famous Grouse (and please don’t ever, ever forget the “The” when ordering) is one of the best blends out there. Complex but still creamy, it’s as soothing as a night at the symphony.

No comments: