Thursday, December 11, 2008

Clontarf Classic Blend


Irish Whiskey
Purchase Price: $16
Place of Purchase: Warehouse - New York, NY
Rating: 7.6


Clontarf Single Malt is very nearly my all-time favorite Irish Whiskey so I had high hopes for its cheaper “Little Brother” blend. Well it didn’t live up to my expectations—this is pretty dull stuff. Somewhat paradoxically, it reminds me a bit of Brennan's in the way it makes me completely forget about it only five minutes after drinking it. It also appears that this brand has gotten a facelift in the labeling department (I’ve posted a picture of the old label since that was the bottle this review is based on) and a new ad campaign geared towards twentysomething binge drinkers. Their website actually stoops to utilizing a picture of two fetching coeds clinched in a lip-lock to get the pulses of potential consumers racing. How utterly puerile. I’m not sure what else to say except that the song "The Friendly Ranger at Clontarf Castle" by Thin Lizzy is a pretty good song.

1 comment:

silver phantom said...

As I write this comment I'm sipping a Tullamore Dew with my son and some ice cubes. That doesn't sound quite right, I'm sipping a Tullamore Dew as is my son, we both have ice cubes in our glass. I came across you sight searching for Duggan's Dew which was a drop my dear father used to talk about. Thank you for your comprehensive blog on whiskey.I was named Johnny Walker born 1937 and still going wrong. I've sampled a few JW black labels and gold but never blue.