Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Famous Grouse 18 Year


Blended Scotch
Purchase Price: Generally $60+
Place of Purchase: Received as gift
Rating: 8.8


This blend vaulted to the top of the list the second I took a sip after receiving a bottle for Christmas. If White Horse is my favorite everyday blend, this is easily my favorite "indulgence" blend. Benefiting from some strong but not overpowering sherry influence that matches the maroon label quite nicely, this stuff possesses a sweet smoothness that reminds me of Balvenie DoubleWood but in the end might even be better than that much heralded single malt. As full and rich an experience as you can ask of a "mere" blend. A great, great whisky and worth the money even if you are not fortunate enough to receive a bottle as a gift. Trust me, I wouldn't lie about this!

No comments: