Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ballantine's Finest


Blended Scotch
Purchase Price: $15
Place of Purchase: Warehouse - New York, NY
Rating: 8.2


Scotland's ability to consistently send over reasonably-priced blends that work on every level is truly astounding. I read somewhere that Ballantine's is one of the best-selling blends in the world, holding the top spot in several countries that were once ruled by kings, and I believe it. In the US, it's one of those "Grandpa's Scotch" products overshadowed by less interesting shelf-mates who elbow past it by spending a lot more on marketing and that's a shame. This is a superb blend and I've never seen a bottle going for more than $20. If you want an everyday scotch to sip on while watching an award-winning movie or classic novel, you can't go wrong here. Hell, it even works if you want to watch "Gigli" or peruse an advertising circular from Radio Shack. It's just that good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just bought a fifth for something like $10 and am really impressed how good it is. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Anonymous said...

It is surprisingly good! $15.99 for a 750ml at my local store. Smooth sipping, smooth finish. 8 of 10.

Anonymous said...

I was just given a bottle for my birthday recently and I must admit it goes down pretty smooth, on the sweeter side, bot overall quite enjoyable. It is by no means wonderful or really complex but great for an affordable whenever dram you aren't afraid to share with all your friends who aren't that into whiskey. It would also be a gentle introduction to a whiskey newbie.