Friday, April 18, 2008

Isle of Jura Superstition


Single Malt
Purchase Price: $23
Place of Purchase: Ralph's - Indian Wells, CA
Rating: 8.0



I'm not sure what exactly the gremlins at Jura do to this, but there's no denying it is a strange concoction. Some brine to begin, then some honey, and then a pleasant, eventful finish that reminds me of a cookie store they once had at the mall that sold cookies the size of dinner plates. It’s like some mad scientist's experiment, but the results really aren’t that bad. A unique malt. I’ve seen this for 40 dollars and up in many places, so I was lucky to stumble upon an incorrectly priced bottle at a Ralph's supermarket in the California desert last summer. I was actually nervous when I brought it to the register and when the check-out lady called out to her colleague I thought she was about to call a price check. It turned out she just thought the metal ankh affixed to bottle was “cool” and felt her co-worker should know about it. I should have known better. How the heck would she know how much whiskies cost? The store had like 200,000 different items!

No comments: