Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mount Gay Eclipse Rum


Rum
Purchase Price: $15
Place of Purchase: Empire Wine - Albany, NY
Rating: 8.2

I was 16 years old when I bought my first bottle of liquor. It was a “fifth” of Mount Gay Eclipse Rum, so maybe it is appropriate to open this blog with a review of that very same rum. (NOTE: I am not reviewing that actual bottle!) At that time, I lived in Ohio, where the drinking age was 18 (later raised to 19 in 1982 and not to 21 until 1987) and all alcoholic beverages were sold out of state-run liquor stores. These no-frills establishments were intimidating places with institutional green walls, ugly metal shelves and turnstiles that led to the registers. I had been accompanying my dad on his trips to buy gin since I was a tot, so I knew the layout and also knew that if you walked in there like you belonged, the always 70+ year old cashier probably wouldn't card. I played the part of nonchalant veteran to a “T” and got my rum. I walked out of that place with a feeling of empowerment most people would associate with passing a tough test or learning a marketable skill, but you have to take these feelings where you find them. I hid the bottle of rum in my room and mixed it with Coca-Cola at my leisure. I drink it straight these days, and it’s still a favorite, I especially like the aroma of gingerbread that wafts up when you peek your nose over the glass. A classic sipping rum!

No comments: