Thursday, May 22, 2008

Jack Daniel's


Tennessee Whiskey
Purchase Price: $22
Place of Purchase: Warehouse - New York, NY
Rating: 7.8


Is this the most famous liquor on earth? I'm not sure what else would top this brand’s name recognition, I mean just think about it. Their logo and lettering have been copped by everyone from Evan Williams to Lynyrd Skynyrd. In fact, in 8th grade, I proudly wore to school a Lynryd Skynryd baseball shirt (black body with white sleeves, naturally) that I had purchased over the summer in some beach town in Florida. It was basically the Jack Daniel’s logo with the words Lynyrd Skynryd in place of Jack Daniels. My homeroom teacher had a conniption because this shirt had the word "whiskey" on it and told me I could either put on another shirt or go home. He cited a school policy that stated students were forbidden to wear clothing (including Hamm’s belt buckles in the shape of a keg, as another student found out later that year) promoting alcoholic beverages. Otherwise the roof of the school might fall in. Looking back, I should have walked out with my dignity intact and spent a pleasant day at home watching those 15 minute kid's shows PBS used to broadcast and playing “Berzerk” on Atari 2600, but I ended up borrowing a friend's gym shirt and stuck around for the day’s studies, not one lesson of which I can remember today. JD is not my favorite, but it's not bad either. I mean it mixes well with Coke, I guess. It’s simply a tidal wave of saturation marketing and “invasive” distribution (I’ve even seen it sold in hospital gift shops!) so why not ride along with all the other folks?

No comments: