Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Wild Turkey Rye


Rye
Purchase Price: $22
Place of Purchase: Warehouse - New York, NY
Rating: 8.3


I remember a lot of young people going “wild” for Wild Turkey 101 proof bourbon back when I was in college many years back, but I never really adopted it as one of my own. I used to drink, of all things, Rebel Yell--fascinated by the brand’s insistence that it “not be sold north of the Mason/Dixon line.” (I went to school in Georgia) These days I haven’t had a swig of Rebel Yell in close to two decades and Wild Turkey has this great-tasting rye that has quickly established itself as one of my favorites. This opens with plenty of eye-opening rye notes, moves onward to some exotic spiciness and then there’s some menthol that creeps into the picture, which instantly reminds me of smoking Newports back in the woods in 7th Grade. We’d literally just stand in the woods smoking, as if it were an “activity” or something. I guess it’s a good thing that I presently pass my time with more worthwhile pursuits like drinking!

No comments: