Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tomintoul 10 year


Single Malt
Purchase Price: $28
Place of Purchase: Union Square Wine and Spirits - New York, NY
Rating: 8.0


This young spirit, from one of Scotland’s youngest distilleries, is as friendly as Casper the ghost and almost as light and airy. Can you imagine the uproar if Casper ever got drunk? I hope it never happens because I don't think kids need to see something like that. In any case, back to Tomintoul, there’s just enough maltiness at the bottom of this Speyside whisky to prevent it from floating away like your average Lowlander is wont to do. Speaking of floating away, I can still vividly remember the time I was five years old and decided to get “cute” with the helium balloon that had been purchased for me at one of the local department stores. Despite the protestations of everyone around me, I insisted on letting go of the string it was tied to and then snatching it back real fast. I should add that this was taking place outdoors, in the back yard of my home. Needless to say, about the third time I pulled this little stunt I missed the string completely and my Panda-shaped balloon gracefully floated away. Forever. Some lessons are best learned with a side serving of tears and that was one of them. Tomintoul 10 year isn’t likely to make you cry anytime soon, but it’s a decent enough malt priced every bit as reasonable as the advice the adults were trying to impart to me that day. I like it.

No comments: